1936: Architectural historian Nikolaus Pevsner publishes Pioneers of the Modern Movement, devoting pages to Mackintosh’s tearoom designs and The Glasgow School of Art.
1939, October: Alice Talwin Morris donates her collection of work by The Four to Glasgow Museums. Further works, and works by her late husband, are donated in 1946.
1945: Following the death of the Mackintoshes’ friend and patron William Davidson, the contents of the Mackintoshes’ estate are transferred to the University of Glasgow.
1946 onward: Many of the last notable figures of the Glasgow Style die: Francis Newbery (1946), Ann Macbeth and Jessie Newbery (1948), Jessie Marion King (1949), Ernest Archibald Taylor (1951), Peter Wylie Davidson (1963).
1950: The still-operational Ingram Street Tearooms are acquired by Glasgow City Council. In 1971 the surviving Mackintosh interiors are removed and taken into Glasgow’s civic collection.
1952: Thomas Howarth publishes the first major book on Mackintosh, Charles Rennie Mackintosh and the Modern Movement.
1955: James Herbert MacNair, the last surviving member of The Four, dies in Argyll, in western Scotland.
1968: To commemorate the one hundredth anniversary of Mackintosh’s birth, the Royal Scottish Museum, Edinburgh, mounts an exhibition, sparking public interest in his work.
1973: The Charles Rennie Mackintosh Society forms, initially to protest the new motorways planned across Glasgow that threatened the demolition or isolation of many Mackintosh buildings.
1974: The Museum of Modern Art in New York mounts an exhibition of reproductions, The Chairs of C. R. Mackintosh, organized by Professor Filippo Allison of the University of Naples.
1976: Queen’s Cross Church holds its final service on March 21. The Mackintosh Society makes it their headquarters and starts restoration. After three years of campaigning, a demolition order for Martyrs’ Public School is withdrawn.
1979: Scotland Street Public School closes as a primary school but is retained as a center for educational instruction.
1981: The Mackintosh House, a re-creation of the Mackintoshes’ townhouse home with the original furniture, fittings, and fixtures, opens as part of the new Hunterian Art Gallery at the University of Glasgow.
1981: The Willow Tearooms on Sauchiehall Street opens as Henderson the Jewellers. The Room de Luxe—used from the 1930s as a department store bridal showroom—is restored and reopens as a tearoom in 1983.
1984: The exhibition The Glasgow Style, 1890–1920 opens at Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum. It is the first exhibition devoted to Glasgow’s contribution to Art Nouveau design.
1990: During Glasgow’s year as the first European City of Culture, Scotland Street School opens as a new museum of education, with grant funding for the conservation and restoration coming from Europe.
1996: The largest Glasgow exhibition of the work of Charles Rennie Mackintosh takes place at the McLellan Galleries. Its central exhibit is the conserved and restored Ladies’ Luncheon Room tearoom interior of 1900–1901. The exhibition subsequently travels to the Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York; the Art Institute of Chicago; and the Los Angeles County Museum of Art. The room is later lent to the National Gallery of Art in Washington in 2000–2001.
1996: After eight years of planning, The House for an Art Lover, which Mackintosh designed in 1901–2, is finally brought into reality, opening to the public in Glasgow’s Bellahouston Park.
1999: The former Glasgow Herald newspaper building (vacant since 1977) opens as The Lighthouse, a new center for architecture and design.
2003: 78 Derngate in Northampton opens as a visitor attraction after major investments fund the restoration of Mackintosh’s interiors. A new branch of the Mackintosh Society in Rousillon opens in Port Vendres, France.
2014, May 23: The GSA is ravaged by fire: large areas of the 1907–1909 building are destroyed. Major restoration and study begin, bringing new understanding of Mackintosh’s work.
2014: The Glasgow Art Club completes the conservation and restoration of Mackintosh’s 1892 gallery following years of research after finding traces of his original stenciled frieze in 2001.
2018: After four years of preparation, Glasgow celebrates the 150th anniversary year of Mackintosh’s birth. The first manifestation of this exhibition, Charles Rennie Mackintosh: Making the Glasgow Style, opens at Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum in March.
2018, June 15: The GSA is tragically and significantly damaged by fire as its restoration project nears completion.
2018, September: The restored Miss Cranston’s Willow Tearooms reopen as a fully functioning restaurant, now called Mackintosh at the Willow, and Glasgow Museums and the V&A Dundee unveil the results of their collaborative project to conserve and restore Mackintosh’s 1907 tearoom interior, the Oak Room.
2018, December 10: A bronze portrait statue of Mackintosh is unveiled on the ninetieth anniversary of his death.