1901: Mackintosh formally becomes an architectural partner at Honeyman & Keppie. The firm is renamed Honeyman, Keppie & Mackintosh.
1901: Mackintosh completes designs for his first major domestic commission: the house and furnishings of Windyhill in Kilmacolm, about 20 miles outside Glasgow, for William Davidson.
1901: Mackintosh produces interior designs and furnishings for 14 Kingsborough Gardens, a rowhouse in Glasgow. The client is ship owner Robert James Rowat, Jessie Newbery’s cousin.
1902, March: German architect Hermann Muthesius praises the originality of the Mackintoshes in a long, well-illustrated article in the periodical Dekorative Kunst.
1902: Honeyman, Keppie & Mackintosh enter competition drawings for the Anglican cathedral in Liverpool, but Mackintosh’s ambitious entry is not selected for the second stage.
1902: Glasgow publisher Walter W. Blackie commissions Mackintosh to design The Hill House in Helensburgh, northwest of Glasgow. Two years later Blackie and his family move in.
1903, January 17: Walton resigns from George Walton & Co. to pursue new design opportunities. The business struggles without him and is formally dissolved on June 30, 1905.
1903, October: Miss Cranston’s Willow Tearooms on Glasgow’s Sauchiehall Street, Mackintosh’s most luxuriously designed Glasgow city-center tearoom, opens to customers.
1903, June 22: The School Board of Glasgow appoints Mackintosh the architect for Scotland Street Public School, which will accommodate 1,250 pupils. Construction begins in December 1904.
1903, November 14: Mackintosh contributes a bedroom interior to an exhibition organized by the Dresdner Werkstätten für Handwerkskunst (Dresden Handicrafts Workshops) in Germany. The embroidered textiles are Margaret’s work.
1904: John Honeyman fully retires from Honeyman, Keppie & Mackintosh Architects, after spending the previous three years restoring Iona Cathedral.
1904: Catherine Cranston and her husband, John Cochrane, commission Mackintosh to design the interiors of their large eighteenth-century mansion, Hous’hill in Nitshill, south of Glasgow.
1904: The work of Mackintosh, Walton, and Ernest Archibald Taylor is featured in the publication Das Englische Haus by Hermann Muthesius.
1905: Mackintosh designs a dining room and Walton a sitting room and library for an exhibition of modern furniture in Berlin.
1906, March 30: The Mackintoshes buy 6 Florentine Terrace (later 78 Southpark Avenue), Hillhead, Glasgow, to serve as their home. Mackintosh oversees improvements and alterations to the house, including the installation of electricity.
1906, October: Mackintosh’s Dutch Kitchen—named after the Delftware tiles set into the fireplace—opens in the basement of Miss Cranston’s Argyle Street Tearooms.
1906, December: Mackintosh is elected a fellow of the Royal Incorporation of British Architects. Scotland Street Public School (officially opened in October) is the principal building cited in his application.
1907: Honeyman, Keppie & Mackintosh are appointed architects for the extensions to The Glasgow School of Art. Construction starts in November.
1907: Portfolio prints from Mackintosh’s design for House for an Art Lover are exhibited at the International Exhibition of Architectural Drawing, held at the Pittsburgh Architectural Club in the United States.
1908: The Society of Lady Artists (also known as the Lady Artists’ Club) commissions Mackintosh to decorate and modernize their Glasgow city-center premises. Mackintosh also completes the Oak Room tearoom and new basement billiards room and toilets at Miss Cranston’s Ingram Street Tearooms. He then travels to Sintra, Portugal, and sketches.
1908: Walton moves into architecture, completing two very different buildings in Wales and England. Not having the formal architectural training of Mackintosh, he employs new methods of construction and materials.
1909, December 15: The completed GSA building formally opens. The second phase of work, including the extension of the west wing and the dramatic new library contained within it, was completed on October 18.