1892–93: Artistic Needlework becomes the first technical subject taught at The Glasgow School of Art while it is still housed in the Corporation Galleries building. The first Technical Art Studios open there the following year.
1899, April–October: The Four, along with John Guthrie, Jessie Marion King, and Jessie Newbery, exhibit at the Third International Exposition of Venice, the precursor of the Venice Biennale.
1899, December 20: The first half of Mackintosh’s GSA building is officially opened. The Technical Art Studios move into an adjacent outbuilding. Additional technical subjects now taught include gessowork, interior decoration, lithographic design, and mosaics.
1900, October: The Mackintoshes travel to Austria to participate in the Eighth Exhibition of the Vienna Secession. The exhibition room designed by Mackintosh displays the Mackintoshes’ and MacNairs’ furniture, metalwork, paintings, and textiles.
1900, December: The Haus eines Kunstfreundes (House for an Art Lover) Ideas Competition is announced in the German publication Zeitschrift für Innendekoration.
1901, May 2: The second Glasgow International Exhibition opens in Kelvingrove Park, with over 11.5 million visitors in 6 months. Mackintosh does not win the competition for the exhibition’s buildings but designs four exhibition stands. Work by many of the GSA’s female staff and pupils is exhibited in the city’s newly built Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum as part of the exhibition.
1901, mid-June: The fantastic and colorful pavilions of the large Russian Village, designed by Russia’s premier Art Nouveau architect Fyodor Shekhtel, both delight and infuriate locals; some describe the designs as “Glasgow School.”
1901: The GSA starts teacher training classes, assisting the new system of drawing instruction being slowly adopted in schools. These are formalized into a Public School Teacher’s Drawing Diploma in 1903.
1902: Newbery selects works by GSA staff and students, as well as by other Glasgow makers, including Wylie & Lochhead and George Walton & Co., for the British Arts & Crafts exhibition at the National Museum of Art in Budapest, Hungary.
1902: Newbery selects the works and Mackintosh designs the Scottish Section pavilion at the International Exhibition of Modern Decorative Art in Turin, Italy. Works by some fifty designers and makers associated with the GSA are represented.
1902, June: Construction starts on Mackintosh’s design for a music room for Fritz Waerndorfer in Vienna, Austria.
1902, December 22: Mackintosh contributes a furnished room with artwork by Margaret Macdonald Mackintosh to the first Art Nouveau exhibition in Russia: Architecture and Design of the New Style, in Moscow.
1905: The first higher-grade teaching qualification in technical subjects is offered at the GSA: a two-year certificate program in Art Needlework under Ann Macbeth’s supervision.
1905, December 21: The new building for the Glasgow and West of Scotland Technical College (est. 1882) formally opens on George Street. GSA director Francis Newbery maintains close ties with technical instruction there, frequently advising.